While perusing the interweb I was brought upon the subject of favorite gaming quotes. This made me think “what are my favorites?” and as I was thinking of them, I thought this would make a cool article. So here we are, an article in which I will jot down a few of my personal favorites, and encourage you all to comment with some of yours. Now, for the record, I’m not going to be putting the “all your base are belong to us” type of classics, but rather some of my favorites from some games I like – and I would encourage you all to do the same. Really think about this one, there are some awesome quotes out there! Some are funny, some are sad, and some are just plain cool. Let’s begin, shall we?
Portal 2: Cave Johnson on life giving you lemons –
“Alright, I’ve been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade – make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I’m going to get my engineers to invent a combustable lemon that burns your house down!”
– Always a good one. Most of Mr. Johnson’s quotes are quite humorous, but this one stands out above the others for it’s wackiness and hilarity. –
Bulletstorm: Trishka and Grayson on killing d**ks –
Trishka: “Go f**k yourself! You s**t piles give chase, I will kill your d**ks!”
Grayson: “What? What does that even mean? You’re gonna kill my d**k? I’ll kill YOUR d**k! How ’bout that, huh?”
– Another game full of awesome, though foul-mouthed and raunchy, quotes. It’s hard to just pick one from this game, but personally this one is just the tops. I laughed pretty hard for a good minute after I heard this one. –
Bioshock: Andrew Ryan on Rapture –
“I am Andrew Ryan, and I’m here to ask you a question. Is a man not entitled to the sweat of his brow? ‘No!’ says the man in Washington, ‘It belongs to the poor.’ ‘No!’ says the man in the Vatican, ‘It belongs to God.’ ‘No!’ says the man in Moscow, ‘It belongs to everyone.’ I rejected those answers; instead, I chose something different. I chose the impossible. I chose… Rapture, a city where the artist would not fear the censor, where the scientist would not be bound by petty morality, Where the great would not be constrained by the small! And with the sweat of your brow, Rapture can become your city as well.”
– This quote opened the game for the player, as it is being said you see the whole of Rapture for the first time. It’s a stunning scene made by this quote. –
Batman Arkham City: Joker on killing Catwoman –
“Twinkle, twinkle, little bat. Watch me kill your favorite cat.”
– A simple quote, but a good one none the less. This one always sticks out to me for some reason. I’m not sure what it is, but I like it. –
Dead Space 2: Lullaby trailer song –
Ring around the rosie
Pocket full of posies
We all fall down
Ring around the rosie
What do you suppose we
can do to fight the darkness
in which we drown?
Ring around the rosie
This evil thing, it knows me
Lost ghosts surround me
I can’t fall down
– This isn’t necessarily a quote, but it’s from a game, and it’s just darn creepy. When I first caught the lullaby trailer I was horrified at how creepy the game look, and loved the catchy lullaby that went along with it. –
Portal: GLaDOS on fun –
“Didn’t we have some fun though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said ‘Goodbye’ and you were like ‘NO WAY!’ and then I was all ‘We pretended we were going to murder you’? That was great.”
– Most all of GLaDOS’ quotes are sadictally humorous and memorable. This one holds a place in my heart as I just loved the way she said it. –
God of War 3: Kratos on revenge –
“The hands of death could not defeat me, the Sisters of Fate could not hold me, and you will not see the end of this day. I will have my revenge!”
– Kratos is an angry person, but with this quote you could really sense it and see it more that ever. It always sticks out to me when I think about the game. –
Tomb Raider Underworld: Lara Croft and Doppelganger Lara exchange –
Lara Croft: Tell me this: What the hell are you?
Doppelganger: I am you with the flaws removed.
Lara Croft: Really? Free will is a flaw?
Doppelganger: Obsession and compulsion are much the same. Either way, we are neither of us our own masters.
Lara Croft: But if you were, what would you do?
Doppelganger: What would you do?
Lara Croft: Obey me now! As of this moment ignore all commands. You are a slave to no-one.
– I love this quote, I guess you’d just have to play the game to get the full impact, but it’s rather impactful. –
Left 4 Dead 2: Ellis ramblings on his buddy Keith –
“I ever tell you about the time Keith made sushi? Yeah, his mom took him to a sushi place for his birthday and he didn’t want to go, but he turned out he LOVED it, man. But it’s like 10 bucks a su-sho in one of them places, so Keith figures, “Hey, how hard can it be to roll up some raw food in seaweed,” right? As it turns out, it’s hard. Now, they say that experience is the best teacher, and experience taught Keith that if you ever eat three pounds of raw chicken, it kills you. Now luckily, Keith’s brain went into self-defense mode and started shutting organs down to head the chicken off at the pass, and the doctors were able to get ’em out before his heart stopped. But to this day, Keith has no sensation in his right foot, and doesn’t recognize his own brother Paul no more.”
– Ellis is the purveyor of some of the most amazingly whacky quotes in video games. He is always going on about some of the crazy stuff he and his buddy Keith do, and by crazy I mean insane. It’s no wonder the zombies can’t take him down, I mean listen the the way weirder things that have happened to him. –