Hello all and welcome to Nostalgia Saturday! This week I’d like to take a step back into the not so distant past and discuss the Nintendo 64 (or N64 for short), which happens to be my favorite Nintendo console. The N64 was released back in 1996 and discontinued in 2003. It hosted a plethora of hit games in its lifetime ranging from the two most widely praised games in the Legend of Zelda series to hits like Goldeneye: 007 and Star Fox 64. It was a great console, one that deserves a little recognition and praise and that is what this post is all about.
It may be hard to go back to playing the Nintendo 64 these days, with graphics and general game aesthetics being so much better nowadays it’s tough to look over those blocky, pixelated textures. The controller is difficult to get the hang of after this much time has passed, too. Regardless it’s still fun to take a trip down memory lane with this console and it’s awesome games. I think that the N64 is a symbol of the days when gaming was more simple. Online multiplayer was non-existent, there were no trophies or achievements to earn, and people played to have fun. They were not bothered by the fact that that some of the games looked bad because they were enjoyable from a gameplay/narrative standpoint. Gaming has become so different these days with all the competition and entitlement, it’s a breath of fresh air to take a step back, plug in the old N64, and just play the day away.
If I had to name five games right now that I consider to be the best of he best, the cream of the crop, or the all time greats for the N64, I’d have no issues. It’s really that easy. Five games stand out immediately for me: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time and Majora’s Mask, Super Mario 64, Perfect Dark and Harvest Moon 64. A notable sixth would have to Banjo-Kazooie because come on, that game rocks. All of these games made up a big chunk of my childhood and bring back some rather fond memories…
- I used to play Harvest Moon all day and never get bored, because finding a wife and tending to the farm was serious business. My in-game father was always so proud of me.
- I had such a hard time with the dungeons in Ocarina of Time, it would take me forever to get through them but once I did I was so ecstatic. I used to spend hours just riding around on Epona and visting all the areas and talking to people, doing nothing in particular, and it was a fun.
- Super Mario 64 was ground breaking for its time. A Mario game in 3D? No way. I remember spending extra time getting all the goodies in each world. I spent so much time playing and re-playing this game that I eventually knew where everything was and breezed through it.
- I had a guide for Majora’s Mask which helped me to find all the masks, get through all the dungeons, and complete the game before the moon crashed into the world. It was so cool to get the masks that changed you into another species, the Zora one was my favorite since he had a guitar instead of an ocarina.
- My brother and I played Perfect Dark until the cows came home, we would trade-off on the campaign and also play the multiplayer. Just the two of us. I remember thinking that game was so cool because I got to play as a girl character and she was a badass.
Man, those were the days, am I right?
I’m sure that while you have been reading through all of this you’ve remembered some of your experiences with the N64 and/or it’s games so let’s get some discussion going. What were your favorite games on the Nintendo 64? Is there anything particular about the console that you loved or hated? Be sure to share these thoughts in the comments, I’d love to read them!
I hope you enjoyed your trip down memory lane with this week’s Nostalgia Saturday. Have a topic or idea that you’d like to see me discuss in future posts? Let me know!